Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More Sleeves

I did more testing on sleeves. Some more successful than others, but nevertheless time consuming. First, I heat transfered a solid block of color onto my first victim of the day:




Then I cut out a chunk. They way this sweater was made, the thread were already cut so I wasn't ruining the "one continuous yarn" that is normally the way with knit things.


Here is a piece of that chunk as I knit it back together.


I unraveled the threads one by one and literally tied each thread together. The threads were white or grey and I alternated my pattern of how many of each I would tie together before switching back to the other color.


Here it is on the knitting machine


And here it is back with the original sweater

The effect of the blue looks really nice. The whole tying every row together takes a long time, but I'll just have to throw a "help Lizzy tie string" work party were I feed people in exchange for tying assistance. I also like that I have control of the striping because I can manipulate how much of each yarn there is at any point. I feel like the general essence of the original piece is there.

The other sleeve from today was not so pretty:


I dyed the channels of the cables using some of the dye I made. That worked well and I would do it again.


Then I unraveled that part and knit it back up. It looks ugly and not so special or cool. I am going back to square one with ideas of how to incorporate the idea behind this sweater. I may not be unraveling it at all. I might instead be using sections somehow. We will see, onto a new chapter in the project I guess.

No comments: