Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Thesis Advisor

All 27 Textiles Seniors handed in their proposals this past week, and I have just been contacted by my advisor: Liz Collins. Honestly, I wasn't too surprised, as my project deals a lot with the actually construction of knits, and she was the only teacher from the 4 planning to advise who specializes in knitting (the others are more printing/ weaving based). The other somewhat exciting thing is that she will only be advising 4 seniors in total this semester.

Besides teaching at risd, Liz also has a knitwear collection that has shown at NY Fashion week, and she still collaborates with other knit designers in New York, including her friend Gary Graham. She went on sabbatical about 2 years ago now and ventured off to Peru to learn more about different regionalized knitting techniques. When I took her advanced machine knitting class last year, she was in the process of synthesizing her ideas into a collection she was working on with Gary Graham. Apparently, the collection is now done, and she is presenting it to us next week sometime.

All in all, she will be a good advisor. She knows tons about the industry and can really help me figure out what I want to do after school. Also, we have the same name.

No comments: